Sales and Communications Intern
WakaWaka North America
Location: San Francisco, United States
Company: WakaWaka North America
Industry: Solar Energy / Social Enterprise / Consumer Electronics
Start Date: ASAP
Position: Part-time + Paid
Role: Sales and Communications Intern
WakaWaka (“shine bright” in Swahili) is an award-winning social enterprise on a mission to end energy poverty. The company develops, manufactures and markets high-tech low-cost solar-powered flashlights and chargers. WakaWaka is on a mission to bring light and power to the more than 1 billion people living without access to electricity. Replacing kerosene lamps with WakaWaka solar lights has a critical, large-scale effect on health, safety, education, community and economic development, particularly in remote regions, disaster-struck or war-torn areas. Every purchase of a WakaWaka product will help spread light and power to those living without access to electricity.
WakaWaka is seeking a part-time highly motivated, creative and proactive Sales and Communications Intern who is enthusiastic about social entrepreneurship. As a small, fast growing San Francisco-based company, we embrace the startup culture by constantly identifying ways to build a stronger structure that will allow our processes to be more efficient and impactful. You have interesting ideas, are not afraid of taking initiative to execute them, and are never easily deterred. We are looking for an intern who is eager to think outside the box when it comes to problem solving. This may include participating in project development or completing daily administrative tasks.
- Assist leadership team with departmental support: calendar scheduling, sending samples, organizing meetings, following up and completing administrative tasks, etc.
- Responsible for acting as a liaison between customers and companies. Assists with complaints, orders, errors, account questions, billing, cancelations, and other queries. Resolve customer inquiries and assist with product troubleshooting via phone, email, mail, or social media.
- Make basic updates to website, including copy edits, content changes, and price changes.
- Monitor WakaWaka in the media, archive clippings & placements, update the company press kit, evaluate any incoming media inquiries, schedule meetings/phone calls, etc.
- Complete retailer new vendor setup documents paperwork; set up retailer product pages (Amazon, Fancy.com, b8ta, others), including entering copy, images, and product specifications.
- Work closely with logistics team to communicate tracking information for samples, customer replacements, or customer order information.
- Support US team by writing, proofreading and editing communications materials (including blogs, press releases, newsletters, website content, among others).
- Support Marketing efforts by participating on campaigns and initiatives requiring project management (i.e. Holiday marketing campaigns), responding to inquiries and updating marketing materials.
- Research potential partners, products, competitors, new markets, among others.
- Identify and support partnership building efforts that could translate into sales for the company.
Who You Are:
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Responsible, proactive and critical thinker
- Comfortable in a startup and an international working culture
- Flexible, collaborative, positive and team player
- Conscientious with excellent attention to detail
- Experience with Google Docs, Google Presentations/Microsoft Powerpoint
Bonus if you are familiar with:
- Email newsletter tools (we use Mailchimp)
- Photoshop and InDesign
3rd year university bachelor’s or above or recent graduate.
Areas of Study: marketing / media / communications / graphic design / business administration / customer support
Paid part-time position
Please email letter of interest and resume to: Elisson Moore firstname.lastname@example.org and Rene Hart email@example.com